Rock1066 – Azur, 6 May 2018: featuring Coda, Eclipse, The Wingmen and more…
10 SURPRISING THINGS YOU (probably) DON’T KNOW ABOUT ROCK1066 – the all day Rock Marathon – at the Azur Marina Pavilion St Leonards on Sea, Sunday May 6th.
1. The Beatles Day connection – the Azur Pavilion was home to three annual Beatles Days back around 2000 – Pete Prescott and Andy Gunton the team who have raised over £250k for McMillan Trust through Beatles Days are also co-promoters of ROCK1066.
2. Hastings Rock FM who are supporting ROCK1066 are a not for profit volunteer run Rock Radio station that operates on a 28 day “restricted service license” from May 5th – they are the only Rock radio available on FM in the Hastings Area.
3. The Azur Marina Pavilion was built in the 1930s but was recently renovated to become one of the best and most prestigious Venues on the East Sussex coast. The diversity of their music events from Jazz to Grime and Hip Hop, from 80s pop to Heavy Metal makes them the perfect venue to host the first ever ROCK1066 marathon. The Azur is a place where great music regardless of genre is treated with respect – great food, great surroundings and a great choice of booze and non booze drink options.
4. Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd have never played the Azur Pavilion. CODA and Eclipse who will be re-imagining Led Zep and Floyd at ROCK1066 have also never previously played the Azur – so by tenuous connection ROCK1066 is a double first.
5. The Wingmen who will be opening ROCK1066 are a new group of young talented musicians taught by Pete Prescott of Beatles Day fame. They will be on stage at about 12.45 playing their power mix of rock classics and some new material. ROCK1066 is dedicated to not only bringing the audience brilliant rock from established artists but also encouraging and supporting new talent.
6. ROCK1066 is part of the celebrations for the 40th Mayday Run – the massive motorbike invasion of Hastings that occurs every May Day Bank Holiday Monday. The invasion started back in 1979 and in 2014 attracted an astounding 40,000 bikers to the town which made it a bigger motorcycle event in one day than the World Famous Isle of Man TT races are in a fortnight.
7. The lineup of bands and musicians for ROCK1066 is: The Wingmen, Cushty, Black River, Vexed, Eclipse (Channeling Pink Floyd) and CODA (re-imagining Led Zep) + a line up of great DJ’s from Hastings Rock FM – while all these bands and artistes play many gigs in the area, the energy they power into the local music scene has never before been focused into one event in a single venue.
8. ROCK1066 is a rare opportunity to see ECLIPSE channel the whole of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon album plus other great Floyd tracks in a unique two hour (ish) set.
9. ROCK1066 are very proud of their association with CODA who first performed in their current line-up at Ride to the Music at BEXHILL MotoFest in 2016. CODA are without a doubt the most authentic Led Zep tribute band in the southeast and are fast building an international reputation for putting on a stunning show whatever the venue – this is as close as you can get to seeing Zep play live as if it was 1974 and they were in your local gig venue.
10. ROCK1066 welcomes all rock fans to a great day out with seafront barbecue (weather dependent) real ale bar and fantastic music. We hope this will be an annual event in the Hastings music calendar. ALL TICKETS £15 – wristbands allow you to come and go as you like. Tickets are available from the venue or online at www.rock1066.com